Being arrested for sex crime charges is a serious matter. Ohio’s penalties for sex offenses are severe. Therefore, you need an experienced Dayton lewd conduct lawyer to handle your case.
At Suhre & Associates, LLC, our legal team has over 100 years of experience handling cases involving criminal charges. As a result, we have a thorough understanding of the judicial process and criminal laws. Our Dayton, OH criminal defense attorneys work to have hundreds of criminal cases result in not-guilty verdicts each year.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with one of our Dayton sex crime lawyers at (937) 531-0435. We’ll begin working on a defense strategy against the charges of lewd conduct you face.
How Our Dayton Criminal Defense Lawyers Can Help You Fight Lewd Conduct Charges
Pleading guilty without talking to a criminal defense lawyer is not in your best interest. Law enforcement agents and prosecutors already believe you are guilty and want a conviction. They will not tell you whether the case against you has weaknesses or whether they violated your civil rights.
When you hire Suhre & Associates, LLC to represent you, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the criminal charges against you, including the circumstances of your arrest
- Advise you of your legal rights and your options for fighting the criminal charges
- Gather evidence to use in your defense
- Interview parties involved in the matter
- Work with experts and private investigators, as necessary
- Guide you through the steps in the judicial process, including appearing in court and arguing on your behalf
Fighting criminal charges may seem overwhelming. However, with an experienced Dayton criminal defense lawyer, you have a better chance of winning your case. Call now for a free consultation with one of our sex crimes lawyers in Dayton, Ohio.
What is Lewd Conduct?
Lewd conduct is conduct that is considered lascivious, obscene, or indecent. The term is commonly used to refer to sexual conduct that is illegal or morally offensive. It may refer to several criminal charges, including:
- Indecent exposure charges
- Engage in sexual conduct with children
- Lewd acts
- Internet sex crimes
- Statutory rape
- Solicitation (prostitution)
Public indecency also covers a wide variety of public sexual conduct and lewd behavior. It includes exposing private parts or sexual organs as well as engaging in an activity that appears to be sexual. A person can also be charged with public indecency if they engage in sexually explicit conduct in public, such as masturbation.
What Are the Penalties for Indecent Exposure in Ohio?
The type of conduct and the victim impact the severity of the criminal charges and penalties. Examples of penalties for indecent exposure include:
- Exposing your private parts in a way that others can view is a fourth-degree misdemeanor. It can result in up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine.
- Knowingly exposing oneself because of exposed nudity or sexual conduct is a second-degree misdemeanor. The penalty increases to a fine of $750 and up to 90 days in jail.
- Engaging in public masturbation or public sexual conduct is a third-degree misdemeanor. The charges also include conducting any acts that would appear to be sexual conduct or masturbation. The charge is a third-degree misdemeanor with a $500 fine and up to 60 days in jail.
The law does not set a different standard if the offender is a minor. Therefore, even consensual conduct or a foolish mistake could result in serious criminal charges. You need to seek legal advice immediately if your child is charged with lewd conduct or public indecency.
Defenses to Lewd Conduct Charges in Dayton, OH
If you are charged with lewd conduct or other sexual crime, the best thing you can do is hire lawyers to build a strong defense. Potential defenses to lewd conduct charges include:
- Entrapment by law enforcement
- Mistaken identity by a traumatized victim
- False allegations made against you
- Insufficient evidence to prove the legal elements of the crime
- Lack of probable cause and other police misconduct
If you have been charged with a sex crime or lewd conduct, it is wise to remain silent except to ask for a criminal defense attorney. Talking to the police is not in your best interest. You might think you can talk yourself out of the charges, but you may only give the state more evidence against you.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Dayton Lewd Conduct Lawyers
If you are charged with lewd conduct, you need to speak with a Dayton criminal defense attorney immediately. Call our office to speak with one of our Dayton lewd conduct lawyers for a free case evaluation.